Monday, January 6, 2014

Poopiebags and crappy playgrounds

My family lives in this tiny village of eight houses in the countryside about 20 kilometers from the city of Roskilde, yes, that one where the famous Roskilde festival is held every summer. Our house lies in the middle of large fields which is pretty usual sight in Denmark. We’re though lucky enough to also have a forest nearby which reminds me of Finland, the only thing I’m missing is a lake. Then there is our “city”, a bigger village with two grocery stores, a library and a second hand store (my very favourite) and a bunch of other things about 3 km away from our house. I have taken it into my morning routine to make a powerwalk in the “city” with my children sitting in a 2-seated bike trailer that I use as a stroller (which by the way has become one of my best friends after I gave birth and I just call it friendly the Croozer).

When doing my powerwalks in our “city” I’ve come to notice two things that are so depressing sights that they’re almost funny. First;  the shitbags. There are some genious local dogowners who take the effort of buying plastic bags dedicated for dog feces, remembering to take them with them when they’re walking their dogs, even doing the nasty job of filling the bags when the dogs do their thing and then… throwing the plastic bag of shit on the street!!! Like what the hell, do you want to store that thing to the future generations or what’s the point of not taking them to a dumpster? I would much rather see those feces without the plastic bag knowing than in couple of weeks it will be decomposed, than seeing the same shitbags rolling around the street and getting stuck in my Croozer wheels.


Fresh poopiebag
Another one that I estimated to be couple of months old but still looking almost as good as new!
Then other depressing thing are the so called  playgrounds in the “city”. This one is actually more sad thing than funny at least for me as a parent. Since my 2-year-old daughter is not in the daycare or vuggestue as the danes call it, like some 95% of the Danish children in her age are, she would really have use for a place to play and maybe even meet some other kids. With a serious search I have been able to find two playgrounds that are located in walking distance from our house (about 4 km radius) where I would dare to take my children. In the rest of them there either isn’t much to play with or they are old, rusty and hazardous and only a suicidal person would get the idea of actually using them. 
Wuhuu!

That face drawn in the piss smelling playhouse describes it all
I figured this was a slide too - for those kiddos who can first climb up a wall of 60 degree angle

Weee!
Yet people’s private yards are filled with new, fancy playhouses, swings, trampolines, even skateboarding ramps! I’m often thinking that we could build at least ten most exciting playgrounds out of the playthings people gather in their gardens that now stand there dedicated only for their own children’s use. And wouldn’t it also be nice that kids had other kids to play with instead of sitting alone in their playhouses? And that their parents could actually use the spared area for gardening or other activities. Not to mention how much more ecological it would be if each family wouldn't have their own private playground on their backyard?

Maybe this means that I have to start doing my powerwalks in the forest :) Luckily my daughter's still in that age where a stone and a stick are enough of entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment