Monday, January 20, 2014

Maximizing the coziness with orange peel candle

If you ever visit Denmark you will most likely come across a Danish word “hygge”. Hygge is among the most used word in Denmark, yet it can be difficult to explain to other languages. I’ll give it a try as how I as a foreigner understand the word "hygge". Danes in general are very informal people. They’re not the kind of people who like to show off with their fancy homes, serious sounding jobs or by throwing luxurious parties. The most important thing in everything is that this thing called “hygge” is present”. Hygge means cosiness, relaxed and chilled atmosphere where everybody’s having a good time. Even though hygge is most of all a state of mind, danes often try to create hygge for example with dim, cosy lighting. And because of this danes love to light candles especially during the dark winter months.

The last three or four days I’ve been trapped indoors with the kids because of the other famous Danish thing called crappy weather and the only thing you can really do is to try to get comfy and well... hygge! Because of that I wanted to experiment with this thing called orange peel candle/lamp.



Despite the fact that orange peel is compostable I still find it interesting to find new ways to use it after its main purpose as protecting the fruit. This candle option could also be very useful in an emergency situation when you don’t have candle lights at hand. I also wonder if orange peel candle could be healthier solution to the traditional candles which according to the recent studies pollute heavily the indoors air. I'm just guessing here, I have no idea really!



I did almost everything as shown in the video below with few exceptions. Instead of olive oil, I used a cheaper canola oil. I’m sure any oil will do but just keep in mind that the candle smells the oils you use.Opposite to what you might think, it does not smell a hint of oranges! But if you want a nicer smell I'm sure you can use a few drops of sentenced oils. Another thing to keep in mind is that these candles tip easily. Instead of trying to balance them on the table I used them as a floating candles in a glass bowl filled with water. It’s more fire secure and it looked really pretty. Definitely lots of hygge potential here! 




No comments:

Post a Comment